This guide will take you throw the steps on how to flash the Liteon DG-16D2S 74850C.
Disclaimer – I am not resposible for any damage you may cause to your drive following this tutorial.
With X360USB PRO you don’t need CK3 Pro drivers, you don’t have to use any COM ports (if you don’t want the “no Com Ports” message showing up when you boot Jungle Flasher then simply save and run this reg file) and you don’t have to have any PortIO stuff installed so no F8 or Driver signing disabled or any of that crap any more (simply tick the USB Only button and all the PortIO stuff gets disabled / ignored) – just ignore all that as it’s the old way of doing things – X360USB PRO takes care of ALL of it.
The following tutorial will take you through the simple process of communicating with a Liteon DG-16D2S DVD Drive using Jungle Flasher and an X360USB PRO adapter. It doesn’t matter what firmware you have on your drive – this method will work regardless.
- Xecuter X360USB Pro
- A DVD Drive Power source (the tutorial uses an Xecuter CK3 Pro – you can use an Xecuter CK3 Lite too of course)
- CK3 Probe 3 or Pogo Mo Thoin DIY Probe (PMT)
- Sata Cable (Supplied with X360USB Pro)
- USB Cable (Supplied with X360USB Pro)
- Latest version of Jungle Flasher (Must be v0.1.82 and above)
- Latest version of X360USB PRO firmware (must be at least v18)
- X360USB PRO Windows Drivers
- Windows XP / Vista / 7 – 32bit or 64bit
- MAC OSX (Using Parallels, Bootcamp or VMWare)
There are four versions of the Liteon DG-16D2S, 74850C, 83850C(v1), 83850C(v2) & 93450C. This guide covers the 74850. To find out which version of Liteon drive you have simply look at the label and you will see “FW Ver.: XXXXXC”
AUX Power CableHere is an example of the Liteon DG-16D2S DVD label. As you can see we have highlighted the F/W version – in this case it is the 74850C (When referencing the drives the letter C is rarely mentioned as it doesn’t have any relevance so don’t worry if you simply see “74850”.
Before you connect everything you first need to install the X360USB Pro Drivers. These are signed and work in Windows XP / Vista / 7 both 32bit and 64bit. Download the small driverpack and plug in the X360USB PRO USB Cable. When it asks for the drivers simple point to the files you saved and they will install with ease. You are now ready to hook everything else up.
Working with a stock Liteon DG-16D2S 74850 is slightly trickier as you have to take the drive case apart and use an official CK3 Probe 3 or a home made PMT Probe to extract the DVD key. This only needs to be done once, and as soon as you have your key you can connect to the drive as normally as you would any other drive without taking it apart or using a Probe.
So we will split this guide into 2 parts. Part A deals with extracting the drive key using the Probe 3, and Part B will deal with using Jungle Flasher as per normal for reading / writing of the firmware. If you already have your drive key then you simply skip to Part B.
You will first need to take the DVD drive apart in order to get to its internal controller board. The point we are interested in is MPX01 (highlighted with green circle). Be careful as there are live voltages so make sure you attach the probe to the correct point and no other place on the PCB or you may harm your drive.
Let’s get everything hooked up. First, simply connect the DVD power supply (in this case the Xecuter CK3 Pro) to the DVD drive (take care to make sure it is fitted the correct way – the wrong way can damage your drive – the green wires on the power cable show it to be the correct way up – red is the wrong way. Also note that the Probe 3 cable is connected directly to the DVD drive end and not the CK3 Pro). Connect the molex power cable from your PC or from an external Molex power supply. Connect the SATA cable from the DVD drive to the X360USB Pro, and then connect the USB cable from the X360USB Pro to a USB port on your Netbook/Notebook/Laptop/Desktop computer. All these connections are illustrated in the diagrams below.
The Probe 3 power cable is edited in this image for illustration purposes. The actual cable is an extended length at 18inches giving far more flexibility when moving your equipment around.
OK we are ready to begin:
PART A – Extracting The DVD Key
1. Load up Jungle Flasher and…
(1) Select the DVDKey 32 Tab
(2) Make sure the I/O Port is set to 0x000
(3) The X360USB pro should be detected as Primary Master and the Firmware version will be displayed (in this case it is Ver 0.17)
(4) The Liteon DG-16D2S should be detected and ready to work with
(5) Make sure the Dummy.bin only box is ticked. This file will hold all the extracted information (key, inquiry, identify & serial).
2. Click the PhatKey button.
3. You will now get a pop up message telling you to power off the drive, attach the CK3 Probe 3 to the MPX01 point and then power the drive on. You don’t have to power off the CK3 – so just follow these instructions:
The X360USB PRO comes with an AUX Power cable. This is NOT to be used unless it is required. Your X360USB PRO will function with no problems on 99% of USB ports as they have a 500ma output. A tiny amount of USB ports only carry 100ma. The AUX Power is supplied as a worst case scenario for those instances (you would plug it into a USB capable power supply unit such as the iPod’s power brick). DO NOT use the AUX Power cable if your computer supports 500ma as you may cause damage to your X360USB PRO. The best way to test is it just set everything up to see if drivers install, jungle flasher detects the drive etc
- Click YES
- Hold CK3 Probe 3 Button down (LED OFF), connect the Probe to MPX01 (push the probe firmly to the MPX01 point so that it’s a solid connection), release CK3 Probe 3 Button (LED ON)
4. Extract Complete will be then pop up after a couple of seconds (See image below). Now Remove the CK3 Probe 3 from MPX01. Press and Release the Probe 3 button again then click OK.
5. The data has now been extracted. You will be prompted to save the Dummy.bin – keep this file in a safe place as it holds all of your drives information including the DVD Key.
6. The following part of the guide is solely to show 3rd party tools working with the X360USB PRO. You must own any game that you backup and we do not condone any kind of piracy and this is purely for educational purposes only. We do not provide any of the LT Plus firmware files and they are not provided or included with Jungle Flasher so do not ask for them. Once the drives firmware has been read Jungle Flasher will ask you if you want to auto-load the Liteon iXtreme firmware. Click Yes.
7. Everything is now loaded into Jungle Flasher and you are ready to go. Lets explain whats happening on the screen at the moment.
(1) The source buffer is loaded with the information extracted from your Liteon drive.
(2) This is your DVD key – always keep this safe !
(3) This is the iXtreme LT Plus firmware auto loaded into the target buffer
That’s all the hard work done congrats on completing Part A of this tutorial !
PART B – Erasing & Writing Firmware
8. Now you are ready to program your drive.
(1) Select the MTK Flash 32 tab
(2) Click the Lite-On Erase button
9. You will get a pop-up warning you to be 100% sure that you have your DVD Key. If you are sure click YES
10. Another pop-up explaining that the drive will be erased and when it sends an intro to the drive to kick it into vendor mode. If you are ready click YES
11. You need to power cycle the drive (turn the CK3 Pro power switch OFF then ON) when the drive status displays as 0x90. Your drive will then switch to vendor mode ( 0x72 ) and you are ready to write data to the drive. To program the firmware click the Write button.
12. After writing, Jungle Flasher also reads and verifies every sector to make sure that the drive programmed correctly. Once everything is completed it will say “Write Verified OK!”
13. Success ! You can now click the Outro / ATA Reset button to take the drive out of vendor mode
This guide was created by ubergeek on behalf of Team Executor all credit goes to him for his excellent work.
TEAM XECUTOR NOR MYSELF CONDONES ANY KIND OF PIRACY DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT OR USE THIS GUIDE FOR ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITY.
source – team xecutor
Latest posts by Ryan Oneill (see all)
- Win Some Cooler Master Swag (International) – July 6, 2016
- Corsair Lapdog Review – Lounge Gaming At It’s Best – July 1, 2016
- Razer Wildcat Review – July 1, 2016